Conservation appeal

Appeal donations total over $30,000 by the end of April. Thank you to our generous donors.

Donations have enabled repair work to two windows

19th May, 2020
Valiant for Truth’ and ‘David’ are two stained glass windows designed by William Bustard, made by RS Exton & Co. and installed in 1947 and 1950 respectively. Crucial repairs have been completed and the windows restored to their original condition. Photos of the progress and completion of the work can be found below.

12th May, 2020

Image 1 of 6

Scaffolding is erected to begin the task of removing windows

All Souls’ Anglican Church, St Peters, Adelaide

All Souls’ Church was dedicated on 31st May, 1916. The building is described as of the Byzantine style, due to its use of horizontal bands of brick and render. It has a conventional Latin cross plan with a particularly wide nave, narrow aisles on each side, and a colonnade of closely spaced arches.

We are home to some of the most beautiful and significant stained glass windows in South Australia. Morris & Co stained glass windows are world famous and reflect the Gothic revival in architecture. Of the 14 identified Morris windows in Adelaide, five can be found in All Souls’ Church. Click HERE to see more images of All Souls’ windows.

The ‘Peace Window’ was installed in All Souls’ Church in 1939 and was the last work of stained glass to leave the factory of Morris & Co. before its closure in the early years of World War II.

All Souls’ church also boasts many other beautiful and significant stained glass windows, including some rescued from St Paul’s Church in Pulteney Street, Adelaide when it was deconsecrated.

The Crucifixion Window was originally installed in St Paul’s, Pulteney Street in 1895 in memory of Dr Richard and Mrs Pauline Schomburgk by their family. It was transferred to All Souls’ Church and rededicated in 1985. The window was designed and manufactured by Montgomery and Grimbly.

In order to preserve this heritage building, and protect the windows for future generations, significant restoration work is urgently required. Expert heritage architects have assessed the building and have produced a prioritised list of recommended work that All Souls’ Parish has committed to undertake.

The National Trust of South Australia recognises the necessity for restoring and maintaining this important piece of Adelaide’s heritage history. They are joining with All Souls’ Parish in an Appeal for funds to enable work to be undertaken. Your donations will hasten the commencement of work and assist the Parish to complete the project.

HOW TO MAKE DONATION:
All donations over $2 are tax deductible. Download the following
NATIONAL TRUST DONATION FORM
OR
Use THIS LINK to go directly to the National Trust website where you can make an on-line donation.

No donation is too small. All gifts will be greatly appreciated, and will ensure that the renovation program is able to progress according to plan.

Donation forms can also be collected at All Souls’ Church, or by contacting the Parish.


Contact Us

Bigger On The Inside